This is definitely a dish I wish I’d known about when I was at university, just thinking about the amount of times I made do with just pasta and sauce when I could have been making something this magnificent.
Eggs are probably one of my all-time foods, they’re not just for breakfast, they’re for ALL times, I have even been known to make an oven ‘brinner’ just because eggs.
So this is super-simple but I figured I would share it anyway, because it’s the perfect dish to prepare if you’re into making something quick or if you’re on a bit of a budget.
I think calling them Italian is just to fancy them up a bit, I got the original recipe from Damn Delicious but it’s pretty easy to make it up as you go along, as long as you know how long you need to bake an egg to make it to your liking.
You Will Need
- 4 x Oven-Proof Ramekins
Ingredients: (Feeds 2 People)
- 4 Medium/Large Eggs
- 300g Pasta Sauce of Your Choice – Use as much as you like, this is dish that’s all about leftovers
- Hard Italian Cheese – Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano – Grated
- Pinch of Fresh/Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C
- Put around 2-3 tablespoons of your pasta sauce into the ramekins
- Crack your egg on top of the pasta sauce and sprinkle with cheese, parsley and salt & pepper
- Optional: I happened to pick up a jar of Chop Chop’s Italian Herbs so I plopped around half a teaspoon in each ramekin
- Pop in the oven for around 10 minutes or until egg is cooked – less time is needed for a runny yolk obviously.
- Serve with buttery toast and enjoy!