I like to think that I’ve been quite pro-active with my weekends recently, and my ‘schedule’ has even allowed me to enjoy the delights of Saturday morning cookery programmes, I thank Nigella that this is the way things have worked out.
Never being one to really care for Nigella Lawson, I’ve found myself engrossed in her post-Saturday Kitchen treat, Nigellissima. I realise it was on before ages ago but it now fits so nicely into my Saturday morning routine just before I pop out to enjoy the rest of the day so I want to gush a little.
Nigellissima has been the inspiration for two recent treats in our house, the first being the one I’m about to share with you, the second is her delicious espresso ice cream, another super-easy one to try yourself.
This beautiful Tuscan steak recipe, which I don’t quite do justice in the pictures, had me wanted to eat it all over again the second I’d finished. It might have been the steak itself but having never had a steak served this way, I’m going to bet it’s that marinade. I enjoyed this so much, I made it again just a week later, it’s such a quick and easy dish to prepare and delivers so much on flavour that your inner carnivore is sure to love you for days and days.
I used a recipe I found on Pinterest (where else?) to give me more precise measurements but adapted it slightly to my tastes. I also didn’t deep fry my chips but can honestly say that the prep method used works just as well for oven-cooking and I’ve made some of my best ever chips since!
- 2 x Good Quality Steaks – I used sirloin for this one because it was discounted but have since used frying steak and it worked just as well!
- 2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dry Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Clove of Garlic (grated)
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- ½ Bunch of Watercress
- 3-4 Medium-Sized Maris Piper Potatoes
- 3 tsps Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
Method – Chips: (I would start with these)
- Cut your potatoes into chip-shaped strips, you can peel them but I don’t.
- Dry your chips with a tea towel to draw out excess moisture.
- Place on baking tray add thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper blob your coconut oil around the tray
- Put in the oven at 200°C and cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Method – Steak:
- Once you’ve brought your steaks up to room temperature, season with salt and pepper and place in a hot pan.
- While your steak cooks on one side chop your cherry tomatoes in half and cut your watercress.
- To a flat-based dish add the ingredients for your marinade and mix together with a fork. Flip your steak.
- Once your steak is cooked to your liking leave it to rest for 5 minutes in your marinade mixture, turning halfway through.
- Cut up your steak into strips and mix with tomatoes and watercress, making sure to cover everything in the marinade and serve.