This recipe is a bit of a lie. It’s not a proper meringue pie, I guess you could call it a meringue cheesecake really but it was really delicious. The actual recipe is kind of different to how I actually did it, purely because I made a bit of a boob of it and put all the meringue ingredients in together without thinking – it still worked, it was just a bit stupid (and took around 20 minutes of whisking).
I adapted it slightly from a recipe I found on Drizzle and Drip, I might be following it a bit more to the letter next time!
It all started with me finding this beautiful passionfruit curd from Thursday Cottage while visiting Hare Hatch Sheeplands for work a few weeks ago. I figured it couldn’t be that different from lemon curd and it wasn’t, plus passionfruit anything usually has my full attention.
- 1 x Jar of Passionfruit Curd
- 100g Gingernut biscuits
- 50g Butter
- 1 x Passionfruit (optional)
- 2 x Egg whites
- 200g Caster sugar
- 60ml Boiling water
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Crush your gingernut biscuits and combine with melted butter, add and press down into your dish and leave to chill in the fridge while you prepare the rest
- Boil your water and once boiled add to your sugar and mix well
- Whisk your egg whites into stiff peaks and slowly whisk in your sugar solution along with the vanilla extract until combined
- Spoon the passionfruit curd over your biscuit base and add the meringue mixture
- Place your pie under the grill at 180°C – you could also use a blow torch – for 10-15 minutes or until caramelised
- Optional: Cut a passionfruit in half, scoop out the pulp and use to decorate your meringue